This page will be the main hub for all the latest info about OBX-WIND.
****Due to the ongoing situation with Covid-19 we have had to make the decision to cancel OBX-WIND for 2020. All registrations for the 2020 event along with raffle ticket purchases will carry over to the 2021 OBX-WIND event. Tentative dates for the 2021 OBX-WIND event are October 30th to November 6th. ****
The giant raffle we hold at OBX-WIND each year is the backbone of financial support for the event. Our Sponsors are generous enough to donate many, many amazing prizes each year. Click here for a current prize list. Help support the event and give yourself a chance at winning a trip, board, sails, and TONS of other great prizes. ****You do not need to be present at the drawing, but your raffle ticket does. If you can't make it to the raffle party, make sure you give your ticket to someone that can bring your prize home for you****
- Current raffle prizes for OBX-WIND 2021:
What to expect for OBX-WIND:
- We fully anticipate all 300 racing spots to be filled for the long distance. Online registration for the 2021 OBX-WIND event is open.
You can not race without checking in, getting your race shirt (and goodies) and being assigned your race number. For 2021 racers will display their sail numbers on their sails. If you already have a USWA or international sail # or registered an "OBX-???" number last year, you may use that number for the race. If you don't have a sail number registered, you will be assigned a sail number when you check in to pick up your race shirt and raffle ticket on Saturday or Sunday. The racer is responsible for putting the number on the sails using their own tape or numbers. NUMBERS MUST BE AFFIXED TO The STARBOARD SIDE OF THE SAIL. (Starboard = Right hand in front)
- All racing will take place behind OceanAir Sports in Avon, NC.
- We plan to race in conditions that we see fit to hold the races. There's no specific limit on the wind range, but we want to make sure that everyone will get planing while keeping it as safe as possible for the racers. We'll be choosing the best forecasted day of the week for the long distance races. Wind speeds for race days should be somewhere between 18 and 30 mph assuming we have a day that meets those conditions.
- There are some unavoidable shallow areas along the race course. Be sure not to choose too long of a fin. It would be wise to test the waters ahead of time.
-The air temps could be anywhere between 50 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Check the forecast and make sure you have a suit that will keep you warm.
- Hatteras Realty has the largest selections of vacation homes in the area. It's a great place to check to see what homes are still available near the event.
-The Villas at Koru Village are also a great option. A short walk to the parties at Pangea and a short drive to the event site.
Tentative schedule for the week:
Saturday & Sunday: On site check in and late registration.
Monday: 1st potential race / freestyle day.
Tuesday: -Possible Race/freestyle
-Raffle Party at Pangea 6:00pm (drawing starts at 7:30)
Friday: Last potential race / freestyle day.
- Awards party at Pangea. The restaurant opens at 5:00 Awards at 7:30